With its beginnings as St. Bridget's Home on de la Gauchetière Street, Father Dowd Residential Centre was originally operated by the Grey Nuns and subsequently renamed after its founder, Father Patrick Dowd. The Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul from Kingston, Ontario assumed operation of the home in 1944 when the Grey Nuns determined that they no longer had a sufficient number of English-speaking Sisters to serve the residents.
A new building was constructed to meet the increasing demands of residents and the current site opened its doors in 1977. The facility underwent major renovations in 1998 to bathrooms and resident rooms to allow for increased access for wheelchairs and assistive devices.
With a total of 134 residents, Father Dowd provides a living environment which is adapted to the individual needs of residents. A wide range of services are provided from medical and nursing care, occupational and physical therapy and recreation, dietary, social and pastoral services. Individual counseling is also offered to promote the personal, familial and social well-being of each resident.
Father Dowd is a member of the Integrated Health and Social Services University Network for West-Central Montreal.